Sunday 23 April 2017

Snap

As soon as I was safely out of the country, Theresa May cheekily called a snap election - a development not unnoticed by the walking party. One of our number declared authoritatively that she was obliged to do this in order to deal with right-wing 'troublemakers' in her party who wouldn't accept any Brexit deal that didn't precisely meet their demands (he didn't explain how the security of an increased majority would encourage them to pipe down - and I fear by 'troublemaker' he meant anyone who actually wants the UK out of the EU). He also predicted a mighty surge in support for the Lib Dems - who wouldn't accept any Brexit deal that involved, er, Brexit - under their wildly charismatic leader, Tim Thingy. Well, from where they are, the only way is up of course, but it's not likely to make any real difference, is it - unless our friend was looking forward to an unholy alliance of Lib Dems, Scot Nats and others somehow thwarting Brexit. Now there's a depressing thought. Old Nige will call the election result in due course. Meanwhile I hope not to be returning to this subject very often.

5 comments:

  1. Have to agree with you generally Nige. I voted Remain but will break my duck voting Tory this time as it is the only honourable, coherent and defensible (if that's a word) option in the circs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very reasonable position, I think, Guy. I imagine it's what TM is hoping will be a widespread view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the interim can Old Nige do us a prediction on the French election?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tricky one. If I was a betting man, I'd certainly have a flutter on Marine, but I suspect things will pan out as they do in Houellebecq's Submission - yet another elite dimwit enthroned simply to thwart the FN. Let's hope he isn't right about what happens next time round...

    ReplyDelete