Sunday 24 March 2019

Hummingbird

This morning – sunny at last! – I was astonished to see one of these little beauties darting from flower to flower in a garden just round the corner from our house. At first I thought it was a bumblebee I'd spotted, but as I got closer I realised it was, unmistakably, a Hummingbird Hawk Moth. I'd never seen one of these aptly named day-fliers so early in the year – they're a summer sight, and an increasingly common one. But in March? Must be that global warming – time for action, if you ask me ;-)
  I also saw my first Small White of the year, flying rather desperately in West Ealing, just near my childhood home.

2 comments:

  1. wow that seems very unusual indeed to see one in march! I only ever see them in cornwall in august and september

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I could hardly believe my eyes. Wish I'd got a photo, but of course I'm never quick enough...

    ReplyDelete