Wednesday 1 February 2023

February

 As February begins, here is some topical advice from Edward 'Ned' Ward, a satirical writer and publican who was a contemporary of Swift's. His most successful work, The London Spy, offers a panoramic account of the seamier aspects of London life at the turn of the 18th century. Ward was guvnor of the King's Head Tavern, next to Gray's Inn, an alehouse in Clerkenwell, and the Bacchus Tavern in Moorfields, conveniently close to Grub Street: 

'He who would, in this Month, be warm within,
And when abroad, from Wet defend his Skin,
His Morning’s draught should be of Sack or Sherry,
And his Great Coat be made of Drab-de-berry.'

Wise words. 'Drab-de-berry' or drap-de-Berry was a stout woollen cloth originating from Berry in central France. Speaking for myself, I have no coat of Drab-de-berry, but I have just acquired a very fine long overcoat of a wool and cashmere blend, beautifully cut (in Germany) and long enough, for a wonder, to cover my knees. It is to all appearances brand new, and I got it on eBay for a mere £30. I am well pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment