Thursday, 17 September 2026

T-Shirt Day

 Radio 3 this morning was getting very excited about Radio  6 Music's T-Shirt Day (not to be confused with International T-Shirt Day or National T-Shirt Day – heaven knows what thrills await us on those dates). This is the kind of thing that tends to happen on the once sedate Radio 3 (what would Piers Burton-Page say?), and I guess it's the price we pay for keeping the network afloat, with enough listeners to justify its existence. It still plays much high-quality music, and heaven knows, it is preferable in every way to Radio 4, at least as default listening. 
  Here in Lichfield, every day is T-Shirt Day: the T-shirt seems to be the preferred apparel of every generation. Most Ts celebrate bands, with a bias in favour of heavy metal – this is the West Midlands, after all – but some sport mottoes or jokes. Alas, I've yet to see a Samuel Johnson T-shirt... The best I've spotted recently I caught sight of from the window of an optician's yesterday, as I was surveying the passing scene (I had no book with me). It was this (though in a more suitable Communist red) and it made me laugh...

The face of Alfred E. Neuman slapped onto the iconic photo of the popular psychopath Che Guevara, it originated in a famous Mad magazine cover ('Viva la Supidity!'). 

  One day, I was walking along Lichfield's Market Street when I saw, approaching me, a large middle-aged man stripped to the waist, showing off a mighty beer belly topped by hairy man breasts. This kind of thing can happen when the weather gets hot. However, as he passed me, I realised that he was in fact wearing a T-shirt – a T-shirt displaying a hyperrealistic image of what no doubt lay beneath. I was at once relieved and, almost, impressed to discover this. For myself, I never wear T-shirts these days (except as a vest substitute), but in my imbecilic youth I owned, among others, a Karl Marx T-shirt – not, alas, adorned with the feature of Alfred E. Neuman. 



4 comments:

  1. Some of those 60s and 70s t-shirts you had would be worth a few hundred these days if they had been kept in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All long gone, I'm afraid, and never in good condition for long.

      Delete
  2. Once after finishing a marathon, I was walking back along the stream of runners with an acquaintance. Presently I noticed that quite a proportion of the runners passing were doing a sharp eyes right as they passed. I then saw acquaintance had on tee shit printed to appear wet and semi-transparent. It was not for nothing that her running-group nickname was Crazy Lady.

    ReplyDelete