Thursday 1 July 2010

Apologies and Rewards

Apologies for the scant blogging - a combination of summer torpor (my brain's inclined to estivate) and the latest crisis in the ongoing saga of my mother's health, or rather her old age. As a result of the latter, I was called away to the Bucks-Oxon border yesterday to look after her overnight. While there, I was rewarded, at 5 o'clock this morning, by one of the most breathtakingly beautiful morning skies I have ever seen, and, a little later, on the platform of a commuter station, by the sight of a Marbled White butterfly. Life, that wondrous mysterious surprising thing, goes on. Of course.

7 comments:

  1. You're ok Nige, the problem is when one's brain both estivates and hibernates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and the worst of all is when it festivates in a noisy field in Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your mother is perhaps a bit better now. I didn't read this till this evening, having already thought that the best part of today was meeting a Marbled White earlier on (recorded here). Stunning. You describe so well the only response that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind how sometimes nature lays a gentle hand even on our roughest days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may not be the way you like to see your butterflies but I thought it might interest you. There was an interview with David Bellamy in a Times supplement (behind paywall probably) earlier this week about this butterfly conservation project:

    http://www.butterflyworldproject.com/

    Bellamy's a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is indeed Gaw - also local to where I live. Indeed he was instrumental in releasing trout fry (are they called fry?) into the Wandle here...
    Thanks to all - and Mark, a wonderful piece of synchronicity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Healthy life supplement

    ReplyDelete