Wednesday 18 February 2015

It has begun!

A cold and frosty morning, with little warmth in the low sun, as I strolled to work along Launceston Place, glancing idly into the front gardens (always beautifully planted). And there, to my utter amazement, was a Red Admiral, precariously riding a nodding Crocus as it tried to extract some much-needed nectar. My first butterfly of the year, and the earliest in recent memory. Indeed, I can safely say that this is the first time I have stood in winter overcoat, scarf and gloves and watched a butterfly feeding (or attempting to). This Red Admiral soon gave up the effort and flew away, with surprising vigour. And I to work with a spring in my step and a grin on my face. The butterfly year has begun!

2 comments:

  1. blimey nige that's early! I guess it's something to do with the urban microclimate having temps a few degrees warmer? I normally only ever see Brimstones in early march

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think it was a bit freakish, as it certainly wasn't warm, even in the sun - and still a frost on the ground. But I'm not complaining! My shortest ever gap between last of the yr (Nov 29) and first of the next year...

    ReplyDelete