Friday 20 March 2020

Talking of Church Music...

Here are a couple of beautiful things for today.

Church-Musick
by George Herbert
Sweetest of sweets, I thank you: when displeasure
          Did through my bodie wound my minde,
 You took me thence, and in your house of pleasure
          A daintie lodging me assign’d.

 Now I in you without a bodie move,
          Rising and falling with your wings:
 We both together sweetly live and love,
          Yet say sometimes, God help poore Kings.

 Comfort, I’le die; for if you poste from me,
          Sure I shall do so, and much more:
 But if I travell in your companie,
          You know the way to heavens doore.

And here is the choral group Voces 8 singing two of Byrd's Jerusalem Motets as beautifully (surely) as they have ever been sung...

No comments:

Post a Comment