Saturday 11 September 2021

RIP Michael Chapman

 News came this morning of the death of Michael Chapman, a singer about whom I have written before. The news was sad, but it was a pleasant surprise to hear it reported on a Radio 4 news bulletin – clearly Chapman was not a forgotten figure from the Sixties/Seventies folk scene – and it was good to hear them play his best-known song, Postcards of Scarborough (see – or hear – below). By the way, the 'Paradise' referred to in the song is, or was, a street in Scarborough Old Town, which may or may not have been paved and turned into a parking lot – any Scarborough readers out there?



2 comments:

  1. I don't know about the particular street but I've never forgotten this piece on Scarborough by "Theodore Dalrymple":

    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/scarborough-unfair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all too true, I fear. I'm glad to have known Scarborough in better times.

    ReplyDelete