Thursday 18 August 2022

'I can't recall how I spent my time before Google...'

 It was ten years ago today that the sweet-voiced singer Scott McKenzie died, at the age of 73. He was never a natural fit with the biz we call show, and not long after the blazing success of the hippie anthem San Francisco, he retreated from the spotlight and largely retired from the business in favour of living a life. Not long before his death, he described himself thus: 'Reclusive septuagenarian. I live with a 15 year old cat named Spider in Silverlake, which is in Los Angeles. I spend lots of time on the internet, mainly researching all sorts of things – I can't recall how I spent my time before Google. I was a professional singer for years, had a 1967 hit called "If You're Going to San Francisco, Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair". I sang at The Monterey Pop Festival. I've lived In New York City; Laurel Canyon; San Francisco; Virginia Beach. I cherish my friends, many of whom have passed on. This trend shows no signs of abating.'
A short post I wrote about McKenzie (born Philip Wallach Blondheim III, fact fans) on his 70th birthday scored more hits than any other post on this blog. I've no idea why, but it's worth trying again – here's the link...

No comments:

Post a Comment