Sunday 15 January 2023

The Ivor Cutler I Knew

Ivor Cutler, the Scottish poet, singer (in a style entirely his own), humorist, writer, artist, eccentric, what have you, was born 100 years ago today. I quite enjoyed some of his work – lugubrious monologues, even more lugubrious songs accompanied by harmonium – but a little Cutler goes a long way, I find. My only direct contact with the man was unexpected: when I was working at Radio Times, I would get frequent, rather tiresome calls from him, grumbling obsessively about something to do with the listings for Radio London, I can't remember what, nor was it a matter of any moment. He appeared to be completely serious, but I guess it might have been one of his less funny jokes. Another persistent and tiresome caller (and letter writer) to Radio Times was one Cyril Henty-Dodd, who had been briefly very famous indeed as the DJ and chat show presenter Simon Dee. A funny old world was Radio Times...

No comments:

Post a Comment