Saturday, 1 August 2026

Last?

 Every time I post about having seen my last swift of the year, I do so with an unspoken hope of tempting benign fate into granting me a further sighting, or maybe more. Sure enough, as I was sitting in the garden just now, I looked up and saw a pair of swifts flying over – a joyful sight. They've made it into August, hurrah! And already I'm wondering if those two really will be the last...

4 comments:

  1. And they weren't! That benign fate was tempted again, and shortly after I saw that pair, a little delta of three flew over, followed, in the course of the afternoon, by three more singletons, one after another. Then, in the early evening, came yet one more – will that be the last? I wouldn't put money on it, not now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Christchurch NZ we found they'd a lovely habit: the cathedral bells would be rung to welcome the first Godwit of the year, a wader that flew from Alaska.

    Then, obvs miffed at the church hogging all the glory, the city council decided to mount a festival to bid goodbye to the last godwit of the year. I thought it as good an example as you could find of the dimwittedness of such people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how they knew it was the last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And two more swifts this morning! I bet this never happened to Edward Thomas...

    ReplyDelete