Monday 3 October 2016

Time, memory, etc.

No wonder I was so startled to discover I'd been on Facebook for two years - I actually joined in February this year. But I was ready to believe it was my Facebook 'second birthday' because, when it comes to the passage of time, I'll believe pretty much anything. I'm at that stage of life when events of a few days or weeks ago can seem wrong-end-of-a-telescope remote, while things that happened last year or the year before can feel oddly fresh and recent.
 Of course, time never marches at a steady pace - it's wonderfully elastic, stretching as we look back on an eventful period full of change, contracting when nothing much has happened and we've stayed in one place. However, I guess I'm now on the foothills of old age - or my memory is. So far, this is causing me no problems and is in fact rather agreeable, part of that general progress (lapse?) of my mind from pin-sharp clarity (how long ago that seems) to something more fuzzy and benign, allusive rather than expository, 'ghostlier demarcations' - from Pre-Raphaelite to Impressionist, if you like. I can't wait for Cubism...

6 comments:

  1. Wait till we hit Abstract Expressionism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's Young British Artists to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there's Young British Artists to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My generation has more or less outsourced memory to various technologies. I wonder how this will affect our dotage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yes, even I have many good reasons to be grateful to Google - especially its invaluable gift of reconstructing forgotten things from stray fragments...

    ReplyDelete