Monday 18 December 2017

Sun in Winter

I learn from the Daily Star – a copy of which happened to be lying around at my barber's – that Britain is soon to be lashed by Storm Dylan. Yes, a hard rain is indeed a-gonna fall, and among the things blowin' in the wind will be, no doubt, the answer, unless of course it's an idiot wind, etc. (more items of Dylan meteorology welcome).
 Meanwhile, it's cold, crisp and clear. A good time to warm up in front of a fine sunny landscape by Paul Klee (born on this day in 1879). Above is a Sicilian landscape painting from 1924, one of the fruits of a six-week sojourn in Sicily with his wife, the pianist Lily Stumpf. As he noted in his journal, 'Colour has taken possession of me; no longer do I have to chase after it, I know that it has hold of me for ever... Colour and I are one. I am the painter.'



5 comments:

  1. "With her fog, her amphetamine and her pearls,
    ............................
    Well it was raining from the first and I was dying here of thirst, So I came in here."

    "We ducked inside the doorway, thunder crashing
    As majestic bells of bolts struck shadows in the sounds
    Seeming to be the chimes of freedom flashing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much meteorology! God bless the Daily Mail for that one. Surely a storm was never better named...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is no coincidence that Dylan launched his Theme Time Radio Hour with a show devoted to WEATHER: http://www.themetimeradio.com/episode-1-weather/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So he did - thanks Jeff. The man's so weather obsessed he really ought to be English...

    ReplyDelete