Tuesday 1 December 2020

December Butterfly

 Usually by this date, even I am resigned to seeing no more butterflies until the spring awakening – but this morning, as I walked out of the station after a little excursion, I was astonished to see a Red Admiral, flying around in a rather distracted manner. Becoming a little more purposeful, it flew up the slope of the roof and settled to bask in the winter sunlight on the lintel of a dormer window, where it attracted the attention of a crow. Uh oh, I thought momentarily, expecting the worst, but then remembered that the red flash on the admiral's wings is enough to warn predators off. The crow turned away, and I headed home, the happier for this unexpected encounter – surely my last butterfly of the year. Or was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment