Sunday 27 December 2020

The Mask of Virtue

 In the supermarket this morning, I was passed by a woman wearing a 'Biden-Harris' face covering. I returned her glare with a sunny smile, and carried on shopping, wondering why anyone would want to assert their preference in an election that had already happened, and in a country in which we Brits have no franchise. The answer is all too obvious: face masks have, like just about everything else, been enlisted in the great cause of our times – virtue signalling (though one can but marvel at the level of sophistry required to detect virtue in either of those two operators). Perhaps I should strike back with a 'Trump 2024' face mask? No, I don't think so. A MAGA hat is out of the question too, being a baseball cap – but a MAGA trilby, now there's a thought...
 Another first today: on the way back from the supermarket, I looked up at the sky and saw the first red kite I've ever seen in these parts. Best keep an eye on the washing line: as Autolycus warns, 'When the kite builds, look to lesser linen.'

No comments:

Post a Comment