Tuesday 12 July 2011

Philosophy And Me

As I've often remarked to Mrs Nige - who does like it and finds it very interesting - I don't really like philosophy or find it very interesting. This is largely because I'm not up to it - it's too hard for my broad-brush gadabout mind to get to grips with. In this field, titanic intellectual exertions on my part tend to yield little if any reward, and I'm quite happy to maintain my dogmatic slumber. Nice pithy aphorisms I can enjoy, even understand - and with the likes of Kierkegaard and Nietzsche, I can cling on long enough to enjoy the ride - but real, solid philosophy, the close questioning of reality, that's too much for me. It would take me too long to understand - in the unlikely event I ever did - and really I'd sooner be spending the precious time reading a good book or listening to music - or even, as a last resort, living (if, that is, I exist). My philosophical limitations were brought home to me just now when I stumbled on this. Anyone out there got any idea what it's about?

9 comments:

  1. In the immortal words of Bertram Wooster: "Well... I mean to say... What??"

    ReplyDelete
  2. just reading the first lines is exhausting - how do people have the time to research and write that stuff??

    nb. word verification for me today is the almost poetically apt "angst"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno. But I have occasionally exhibited bad "copulative judgement".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er...judgment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't a clue and really can't be bothered to find out.

    However, if the struggle becomes too much this - http://www.philosophybro.com/p/full-list.html - should help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recusant, that is a joyous blog, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh yes - thanks Recusant! That's what I call Philosophy - I've bookmarked it for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not what but why?

    My verification is flogi which I guess is an abreviation for flogging as in 'some mammals are horses and some of them are dead'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's called "logic" which they teach in Philosophy at uni. It's scary, evil, toxic stuff. Mostly everyone hated it.

    Apart from that there were some interesting philosophers such as Hume and Hobbes though overall it was an annoying mind fuck.

    ReplyDelete