Wednesday 2 November 2011

100 Per Cent

From the train window I caught sight of a poster. It portrayed a chap in, I suppose, early middle age sitting at a desk looking important but approachable. A chap best described as one of life's smug gits. The legend ran thus: 'I ask my team for 100 per cent. If they give me more, that's good too.' I've no idea what it was advertising - perhaps a course in elementary arithmetic? But I thought what a wheeze it would be to get a copy and put it up over my Nigecorp desk. Then I thought, no, on the whole I'd prefer to see out my working life with my limbs still attached to my body...

5 comments:

  1. From my breakfast table I caught sight of an ad'. The middle-aged man gazing out at me was none other than smug-git Jose Mourinho, late of Chelsea FC. His moniker is 'The Special One', and Henderson Global, Braun, American Express and many others obviously believe this clap-trap, while he rents a very big truck to carry the lucre away to, one imagines, a numbered Swiss account. His arithmetic is probably on a higher plane than the clowns at the agency that 'created' this dreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the one! Hadn't realised it was him. And it's worse - the 2nd part is 'If they give me more is okay too.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hesitate to use the word 'culture' about the inhabitants of the square mile, but if you needed any more proof that the culture of greed remains virtually unchanged since the ongoing meltdown started, all you have to do is read that ad'.
    And if you have a strong enough stomach, try the movie version here http://www.henderson.com/sites/henderson/media_centre/PostDetail.aspx?xpostid=3620
    But I don't recommend it immediately after a heavy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shudder to think we will soon see the day when giving your employer a mere 100% will be grounds for dismissal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha - yes, it will surely come to that before long...

    ReplyDelete