Friday 3 February 2023

A Beddington Funeral

 I've just heard that the funeral of the late great Jeff Beck took place today at St Mary's, Beddington, a church I knew well from boyhood, when I was at school in the manor house next door (then an annexe of the grammar school), to recent times, when I always dropped in if I found it open, to admire the Carew chapel and the lovely William Morris organ screen. Beck grew up on the splendidly named Demesne Road, close to St Mary's. The turnout at his funeral was by all accounts the biggest gathering of stars ever seen in my old manor, with the likes of Eric Clapton, Tom Jones, Kate Bush, Ronnie Wood, Brian May, Rod Stewart, Dave Gilmour, Harry Enfield, Vic Reeves, Kirk Hammett and Johnny Depp assembling to pay their respects. Quite right too. 

1 comment:

  1. And now I hear that there's going to be a memorial tree planted in Beddington Park, close to St Mary's.

    ReplyDelete