Monday 13 February 2023

Two Phones and a Missing Shop

 I have two mobile phones – call me Two-Phone Nige. One is a little Nokia, chiefly for texting, and the other an iPhone, which serves as telephone and camera. Both are playing up just now, and the Nokia has completely lost sound on incoming calls (despite being on full volume), so I thought I'd pop into a phone shop and replace the Nokia with a similar model. I duly did this on Saturday afternoon and, on opening the Nokia box a little later, I discovered that the instructions were in Arabic, with no translation, and on trying to set up the phone I found that it was weirdly configured and totally baffling. So I took it back to the shop this morning (Monday) – or I would have done, if the shop was still there. It had gone, leaving behind only a shuttered shell, with a notice declaring that the lease had been forfeited and the premises repossessed. 
(I was vaguely reminded at this point of an Edmund Crispin novel, The Moving Toyshop, in which a toyshop (containing a murder victim) mysteriously disappears overnight. This Gervase Fen mystery is dedicated to Crispin's Oxford friend Philip Larkin, and takes its title from 'The Rape of the Lock': 'With varying vanities, from every part, They shift the moving toyshop of their heart.')
On the whole, I am glad that my life so often plays out as some kind of comic novel. It beats the alternatives.

2 comments:

  1. And still it goes on – I bought what looked like a very eligible Nokia replacement on eBay, and it turned out to be French language, the wrong model, and quite impossible to navigate. Ah bien...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's more. Having finally located and ordered the right model Nokia (in the right language) and reluctantly bought a new iPhone to replace the defective one, I now find that both phones have miraculously come back to life and are performing as well as they ever did. Ah well, I suppose a man can never have too many phones... (really??)

    ReplyDelete