Wednesday 27 August 2008

The Power of Television

The new series of that wondrous TV drama Mad Men began in the US the other week. In an early scene, Don Draper notices a man in a bar is reading Frank O'Hara's Meditations In An Emergency. Result: the book instantly soars to 2,761 on Amazon (for poetry, that's soaring) before selling out completely. Time for a reprint surely. After all, it contains the great poem To The Harbourmaster. If that became popular at funerals, it would raise the standard of funerary readings considerably.

2 comments:

  1. Thrilled by the news - I agree, Mad Men is a truly wondrous series, gripping, literate and compulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get this. "Don Draper notices a man in a bar is reading Frank O'Hara's Meditations In An Emergency. " Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



    Hydration

    ReplyDelete