Wednesday 1 October 2008

Zeeland Here I Come

I'm going to be away from the blog world for a while. Tomorrow I'm off to Zeeland for a few days' walking (probably in sheeting rain and howling wind, I fear, but at least it's flat - and the towns, I am assured, are full of interest). Immediately after that, I'm off on another rail jaunt - down to Avignon. All of which means I shan't be online again til the weekend after next. I leave you with a little Pound...

Taking Leave of a Friend

Blue mountains to the north of the walls,
White river winding about them;
Here we must make separation
And go out through a thousand miles of dead grass.

Mind like a floating wide cloud,
Sunset like the parting of old acquaintances
Who bow over their clasped hands at a distance.
Our horses neigh to each others
as we are departing.

6 comments:

  1. Have a *wonderful* time, Nige. No one enjoys a walking tour more than you. I hope you see a hoopoe, and you tell us about your rambles when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Nige, avoid the fleshpots of Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time, Nige. Heigh ho, the wind and the rain! (I like walking in stormy weather, but then I like weather. I suspect you do as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a lovely map from the Cambridge UL showing how you might have got your feet wet, had you been planning your trip a few centuries earlier. It's a lovely, slightly eerie part of the world. I hope you see lots of interesting birds and weather.

    http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/Exhibitions/GreatCollections/Hanson.bb.23.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why oh why am I left thinking You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille.

    ReplyDelete